Monday, January 27, 2014

Holiday Round Up!

After a bit of a hiatus, I am back!  December is such a hard month to have a crafting blog. I did 9 hand knit gifts this year and could not talk about them here. I wasn't dyeing, so I had nothing to post about. But the holidays are over and life is starting to get back to normal so here it is!



First up is this Adorable Felted Bag I made for my niece. This is the Quick Felted Bag pattern by Sue Coffrin from One Skein Wonders: 101 Yarn Shop Favorites. I finished the knitting and felting on this back in July, but put off sewing on the snap and decorative button until about October. The yarn is Adriafil Crea colorway 051. This was a super quick knit, and the bulky, single ply yarn was a joy to knit with. 


I also made a matching bag for her sister using the same pattern and yarn in the 054 colorway. These were a lot of fun to knit and were my first felting project ever. Aside from some curling on the handles I am extremely pleased with the results!


On July 19 I started working on this scarf for my mom, didn't get it finished until December 1st. This is one of those things that I could only work on when my mom wasn't in town, so I would put it away when she was here and forget to take it back out again after she went back home. Ah well, it did finally get finished. This is the Nancy Pygora Merino Lace Scarf by Myrna A. I. Stahman from Luxury Yarn One Skein Wonders: 101 Small Indulgences. I used Malbrigo Silkpaca Lace in the Pagoda colorway. 


Next up were two sets of double knit OSU pot holders one set for my dad! and one for my husband's uncle. These were an improvised design by me.  I created the chart for the colorwork and got going. They were knit from Knit Picks Swish Worsted in the Serrano and Dove Heather colorways. It took me about one days worth of knitting to finish one pot holder, so 4 days, 4 pot holders. 


Now if you live in Columbus, Ohio you know how controversial it was for me to knit these Michigan pot holders for my brother-in-law. Both he and his wife are huge Michigan Fan's. But since I went to Notre Dame, I can get away with playing the neutral party. These were also double knit and designed by me. I used Knit Picks Swish Worsted again this time in the Dusk and Honey colorways. He liked them so much that he said he was going to hqng them on the wall rather than use them, so they don't get messed up. 


If you remember the Redd Shawl I knit for my husband's grandmother then you should recognize this yarn. I had about a ball and a half left after the shawl and since my mother-in-law paid for the yarn I decided to knit her something with the left overs. My husband picked the Flapjack Mitts pattern by Patricia Martin. The yarn is HiKoo Simplicity in the 047 colorway. I finished these in about two days. I tried using a magic knot in these and it held fine at first, but then I tried the mitts on at my knit night to show them off and the knot came completely undone!  I had to rip back the second mitt down into the thumb gusset and knit it again. Let me just say that with a huge deadline like Christmas looming, this was the last thing needed. I don't know if it was the type of yarn I used or the fact that this is a ribbed pattern that stretches a lot when put on, but I will not be using the magic knot again.  It's just not worth the risk. 


After committing myself to all of this Christmas knitting, I apparently didn't think I had enough to do so when we were invited to a 3rd birthday party the weekend before Christmas I thought a hand made gift was in order. So I crocheted this adorable dragon out of some Knit Picks Brava in the Cobblestone Heather colorway for the main body and some leftovers from my OSU pot holders. It is the Dragon, Choose Your Own Adventure pattern by Stacy Trock



Up next was this adorable slouchy hat for my sister-in-law made out of Knit Picks Brava in the Denim colorway.  The pattern is the Hammer Time Textured Slouch-Hat by Faina Goberstein from the Cozy Knits book.  I may have to make one of these for myself at some point.


And last but not least with 2 days left I had to finish this gorgeous Jeweled Cowl by Sachiko Uemura for my husband's aunt.  I made this out of Malibrigo Silkpaca Lace in the Violetas colorway and used the whole skein, but a lot less beads than I had originally thought.  The math of the lady at the bead store must have been off.  Oh well.  I finished this up at about 8 o'clock Christmas eve and got it blocked and ends woven in so that it would be dry by the time the family showed up in the morning.  

All in all I would say that it was a very successful Christmas knitting season, though, why I always am taking on herculean tasks at the last minute is beside me.  Maybe I'll be able to do better next year.

No comments:

Post a Comment