Friday, September 6, 2013

FO Friday: Redd Shawl, a Pumpkin Hat, and a Knitty Noddy



Well I got more accomplished this week than I thought I did. First up is the finished shawl for my husbands grandmother. He and the kids are off to Montana next week and now he's all prepared for her 95th birthday celebration. 



I absolutely adore this pattern Redd by Brian Smith, it's shape allows the shawl to rest perfectly on the shoulders without the help of shawl pins. I will likely be making another one of these for myself in the future but I will likely make it a bit larger by adding an additional repeat of the pattern. I just like my shawls a little bigger. I also really enjoyed working with this yarn. It is Simplicity by HiKoo and its a blend with 55% Merino, 28% acrylic and 17% Nylon. It is unbelievably soft and it's machine washable for easy care. 


I also finished the Punkin Head by Tara Thomsen. It is made out of some Red Heart With Love in the Mango colorway and Red Heart Soft in Guacamole. I made a couple of slight mods as I noted in my previous post


I did go down a needle size when I switched to the green for the stem and leaf, as the Red Hart Soft is a slightly thinner yarn. 


One final FO are these two Knitty Noddy's that my hubby and I teamed up to make to aid in my dyeing efforts. The larger is a two yard version and the smaller is a one yard version.  They feature o rings to ensure the wraps stay to the outside of the area which allows for a more consistent wrap length.  They have end caps to ensure the ends won't snag on the yarn and while some people feel that this makes it more difficult to remove the yarn after winding, I have found that if you slide the yarn (and o rings) toward the center on 3 of the arms it is much easier to remove the yarn without incident. 


Here is the larger one with the yarn wound and the figure 8 ties on ready to be removed from the Knitty Noddy and go into the pre-soak to prepare for the dye bath!  Like what you see?  Want to get one of your own?  Head on over to my Etsy Shop and order one today!

Have a great weekend. 

No comments:

Post a Comment