Friday, February 21, 2014

FO Friday: The year of the sock, and some spinning

I have absolutely fallen in love with my hand knit socks, and I don't have enough of them. And so I have declared 2014 the Year of the Sock!



You may remember these from before the mad dash of Christmas knitting. They are just plain vanilla top down socks. No pattern, I just went for it.  The yarn is Premier Yarns Serenity Sock in the Teal Tease colorway. I also decided to try some alternative sock knitting methods about half way through the first sock. I like magic loop for a lot of things but I was getting sick of having to fuss with the cable all of the time.  I really like knitting in the round on cable needles when you don't need to magic loop. There is no break in the knitting. So I went to my local yarn shop and picked up these:


They're HiyaHiya Sharps with teeny needle tips and a 9" length. I hated these. Not because of anything inherently wrong with them, but the needle tips are so short I could barely hold on to them. I think I did 2 rows before giving up on these. 

 I've never really done much on DPNs and I didn't have any size 2's, so when I was cashing in on some Christmas gift cards I ordered a couple of different kinds of DPNs. 


The ones I decided to try first were the Kollage Square Stitch Red needles available exclusively at Jimmy Beans Wool. They are 5" long as opposed to the regular squares which are 6". For some reason the shorter length appealed to me plus they're red which is awesome. I absolutely love these needles!  I finished off the first sock, and knit the second. And immediately cast on these with them:


I finished the Teal Tease socks for me first thing in the morning on my hubby's birthday (all I had left was kitchenering the toe. Since he wanted to go to the movies that day, I of course needed a new sock to work on. So I cast on these for him. The yarn is Lorna's Laces Solemate in the Zombie Barbeque colorway. He's got a thing for The Walking Dead, so it was meant to be. Most people I know complain about knitting their husbands socks, because of the whole "giant man foot" thing. I wear a women's size 12 shoe. My husband and I have the same size feet, so it wasn't any different than knitting socks for me, except that when I was decreasing for the gusset, I left a few extra stitches for the foot, to account for the fact that his feet are a little wider than mine.


Last but not least is some finished handspun.  This is a hodgepodge of different fibers.  The white is some mystery wool, the blue and grey is a Merino/yak/silk blend and the purple that these two are plied with is 100% silk.  I love the way it turned out.  Now all i have to do is decided what to knit with it.

Well, that's it for this week. What have you finished?

No comments:

Post a Comment