Wednesday, May 23, 2012

Crocodile Stitch Fever

The other day I was listening to the Crochet Chat podcast with Stacey Trock and she mentioned the crocodile stitch and how much she liked it. I was intrigued as I had never heard of this before and so I scoured the Internet and YouTube trying to find out more about it.

What I found was a beautiful pattern of crochet stitches clustered together in a way that forms "scales" that lay over each other like fish scales would. I was absolutely hooked and decided to try it out for myself. After some research I realized that there are quite a few ways to approach the stitch but I finally worked out the best way for me. Most of the projects that I found were for scarves, but I felt that this would be a bit awkward to wear since the scales on one end of the scarf would be upside down when wearing it. I also wanted to be able to create something that I would be able to use during the warm summer months.

I settled on making a wristlet clutch handbag since we are getting into the summer wedding/party season and I would have plenty of call to use it. It only took about 6 false starts to get going but here is my final outcome.



As you can see I added beads to the base of each stitch to give it a more glam look.   I have been so pleased that I decided to make a bunch more and sell them on etsy.  The hardest part about these for me has been the lining as I have not sewn anything since a college costume design class and did not even have a sewing machine until my husband's family bought me one for my birthday which is coming up. 

The first lining I tried to make, I planned to have a zippered closure since this is a wristlet and will need to be able to close fully since it will be hanging at odd angles from my wrist as I carry it.  This was a total disaster, as I somehow managed to make a lining with a zippered closure, but thought I could use my sewing machine to attach it to the bag.  Needless to say, I completely screwed this up as crocheted items do not lend themselves to being machine sewed due to the stretching of the fabric.  I was finally able to get one in on a second bag, pictured below which has a much less complicated (at least for me) magnetic snap closure.



Interested in how to do the crocodile stitch?  Then click here for a basic crocodile stitch tutorial!

No comments:

Post a Comment