Friday, May 18, 2012

What is Amigurumi?

Amigurumi is the Japanese word for crocheted or knitted stuffed toy. Generally they take the form of animals but could be anything from food to appliances or anything you want!
Traditionally they took a cartoonish form with larger heads and smaller bodies but they can be as realistic or cartoonish as the designer wants. There are many great pattern books and websites available and each designer has their own style. Personally I like a mix of realism and whimsical. And when I make my pieces I like to keep in mind who the intended recipient is and their preferences.

Amigurumis are made by doing single crochets in continuous rounds to make basic shapes like spheres, cones and cylinders to achieve the shapes desired. Once you get the hang of the basic shapes you can really create anything! I have not designed any of my own amis yet as I only started making them myself in January and am still trying to determine what my personal style will be before I begin to design my own.

If you are looking for a great book on the basic shapes and design help I would recommend The Complete Idiot's Guide to Amigurumi by June Gilbank. This book does not have much in the way of patterns, but there is a lot of great information about how to create the different effects to bring out your ami's personality.

No comments:

Post a Comment