Tuesday, November 19, 2013

2 Dye 4 Tuesday: Introducing Adventures In Yarncraft on Fiber!


It's funny how things evolve isn't it?  As I mentioned before I took a spinning class and started spindling a couple of months ago. As a result of this I ended up joining the Central Ohio Weavers Guild. I know I know, I don't weave, but they also spin and knit, in fact I learned at one of the gatherings that they actually have more spinners than weavers in the guild.
There is another big perk to being a member of the guild, besides the comraderie and help with questions I have from other members of the guild, they have equipment that members can borrow for basically free, like looms and spinning wheels!  Since I have been wanting to try my skills, or lack there of, on a wheel before I look into getting one of my own, I took advantage of this and borrowed a wheel.  Well, I have been working with the wheel and while I felt like I was never going to be able to spin all of the fiber I had accumulated on a spindle, I suddenly now feel like I don't have nearly enough.

You may recall that I had purchased a pound of merino top at the Wool Gathering from an Ohio Mill, since it is more fun to spin in color, I broke the merino up into 4 oz chunks, and took one of them out to the dye studio, and used up some of the left over dyes that I had after one of my previous dye sessions. I enjoyed the process so much, that I did another chunk, and another, and another. Then I decided to contact the mill and see if I could get some more. Now I have a box with 6.5 lbs of bare fiber sitting in my hallway ready to be dyed up for sale. I'm not even sure I'm going to keep any of the originals. They are not up in the shop yet, as the weather has been crappy and I haven't had good enough light to be able to take decent pictures. In the braid on the far right, you can't tell in the photo, but besides the blue, there is bright purple and green as well. I need the sun to come out!

In other news, I had a small disaster occur yesterday. The heater went out in my Studio (aka the garage), and it is now too cold for me to be out there working right now. So I've got to call an HVAC contractor out to get it fixed. I suppose all is not lost, I haven't been able to knit nearly as much as I have been used to, what with the dyeing and spinning, maybe I'll actually be able to get some of my Christmas knitting done.

Wish me luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment