Tuesday, September 24, 2013

A Wool Gathering: Stash Enhancement


As I mentioned on Thursday, this weekend was the Wool Gathering at Young's Jersey Dairy in Yellow Springs, OH.  Check out all the awesome stuff I got and feel free to be enabled yourself!


 

First things first, on Friday I attended Abby Franquemont, of Stringtopia's Spinning Boot Camp. On my way into the class I saw this car parked outside. Only fiber people are this cool!


Here's a picture of our kits from class, we spent the morning working with spindles, my first time working with a bottom whorl. Oh and yes, that is actually yarn on that spindle that I made myself. I am still totally all over the place, but I have committed to spend a little time every day spinning. Practice makes, well not perfect, but better. We worked with a couple of different fiber preparations and in the afternoon we got to work with spinning wheels. I really liked it but I have determined that since I am 6' tall I need a taller chair next time I attempt the wheel. I kept getting a cramp in my thigh from treadling at that specific angle.  


Then of course I had to go back on Sunday to do my shopping!   The first thing I bought was this shawl closure by JŪL Designs from the Knitters Merchantile booth. They also happen to be
one of my local yarn shops, so I could really get this any time, but I haven't made it over there in a while, so I figured why not pick it up at the festival. 


If you haven't heard of these I definitely recommend checking them out. They attach semipermanently to either side of a garment with metal screws and use the leather thong in between to close the garment. And the leather piece has a slit on both sides that allows for removal of the garment without unscrewing them. Absolutely ingenious!


Next up is this lovely smooshy soft Prime Alpaca from Morning Meadows Sundries. This is a natural, undyed DK to light worsted weight yarn with 665 yards in 8 oz.  This stuff is so soft I was seriously tempted to curl up and sleep with it last night. I resisted. 



These next two yarns I picked up from the Twisted Stitches booth. This one is a fingering weight 50/50 blend of superwash Merino and Tencel approximately 500 yds. Don't you just love the sheen?


This one is a fingering weight superwash Merino and bamboo blend, approximately 490 yds. 


Now, to be honest, I've never been particularly drawn to tweed. However, when I saw it in this lovely light blue I just couldn't resist. This is from Sheepish Creations and is a fingering weight superwash Merino and nylon sock yarn with approximately 440 yards. 


Of course I couldn't pass up on getting some fiber while I was there. I mean I did just take a spinning class right? I stopped by the Susan's Fiber Shop booth and picked up some lovely fiber from Lunabudknits.  I just love the colors in this 4 oz braid of Pollwarth in the Autumn Wisp Colorway. This will be my first dyed fiber to spin with so it will be interesting to see how it works up!


Finally I just couldn't pass up this Merino Top from Ohio Valley Natural Fibers. So lovely and soft and with a pound of it I have lots of margin for error in my novice spinning abilities. 

Whew!  I made it through and didn't completely break the bank, now to start saving money for the next fiber show in October!










No comments:

Post a Comment