Wednesday, October 16, 2013

WIP Wednesday: Dragon Fire Pullover


I have been chomping at the bit to start this sweater ever since I saw the pattern in my Ravelry Pattern Recommendations. It became even harder to resist after I picked out the perfect yarn in June.
But as we all know other things have taken priority and I just haven't been willing to cast this on without the time to complete it. Then I found out that the gals over at Knit 1, Geek 2 are doing another Hobbit-a-long for the upcoming second installment of the Hobbit trilogy of films, The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug, I knew the time had come. I was a good girl and made myself finish all of my older "FO's" first. These were projects that still had one or two ends to weave in, or needed buttons or snaps sewn on that I did not have on hand at the time the knitting was completed.  I will be talking about these in future posts but I got them all done.  And so the journey began!

This is the Dragon Lace Pullover pattern by Angela Hahn. I definitely recommend checking it out if you haven't seen it before. From the front it's all business with a plain stockinette v neck sweater, but then you turn around and there is an awesome lace dragon that travels from the top of the left back above the shoulder blade all the way to mid waist!  The original is done in a lovely all white yarn and does a beautiful job of showing off the dragon, but for me it just wasn't enough. Especially considering the miles and miles of all white stockinette that would be required for a plus sized sweater. So, I decided to use Malabrigo Rastita (100% Merino) in the Archangel colorway. I think it's the perfect blend of fiery oranges, reds and pinks and purples, it really makes me think "DRAGON!"

I was a good girl and swatched and even washed and blocked it before I cast on to ensure I was going to get gauge, which I was able to achieve on a US size 6/4 mm needle. I am really enjoying the knit so far but I know things are going to start getting a bit more complicated as I progress through the pattern, I've been reading ahead, and there is quite a bit of "at the same time" instructions coming up so I will need to make sure I'm not going on auto pilot when I get there. Wish me luck!

Oh, I almost forgot, that cute project bag is another of my purchases from StarKnits on etsy. Go check out her shop!

No comments:

Post a Comment