Monday, June 11, 2012

YarnU iPhone/iPad App


Yarn U Yarn U



If you love yarn and have an iPhone/iPad, then you need to check you the Yarn U app available in the App Store for $2.99.  This application is a database of information on different yarns that may be available at your Local Yarn Store (LYS).  As is described in the App Store, "this on-the-go app will instantly provide information more than 320 American yarns, with a growing number of U.K. manufacturers."  



iPhone Screenshot 1 iPhone Screenshot 2


This handy little app by Mary Beth Klatt, provides information including weight, texture, pros, cons, pricing and availability on the yarns in the database, as provided by the author and other users.  Many have links to patterns (some of them are free!) and reviews, as well as videos, all to help enlighten you about the yarn you have selected.  


iPhone Screenshot 4 iPhone Screenshot 5


Keep in mind that this is not an app that provides information on the brands of yarn available at the "Big Box" stores like JoAnn's and Michaels, but will hopefully empower you to go into your LYS or shop on-line for the higher end yarns that are out there and buy with confidence.  If you are like me and have a hard time making a commitment to a yarn that costs more than $4 a skein, but are looking to get into using higher end, more luxurious materials then this is a great place to start.  I personally find my LYS a little intimidating, as I am not very familiar with what is available beyond the standard Lion Brand, Bernat, Caron, and Red Heart acrylics (which certainly have their place in my stash).  But I was able to do a little research before entering the store, and was able to go in pick out a yarn that I was attracted to and find out more about it, including general pricing info and information on how it works up, as well as the advantages and disadvantages to the skein I was holding in my hand.


Now that is not to say that all of the yarns available in my LYS were in the app, nor vice versa, but it was a great place to start for me.  (With the help of this app I dropped about $100 on yarn at a couple of my LYS's that I wouldn't have felt comfortable doing otherwise!)  When I've been in the stores before, I would look around and drool  over the yarn that was available.  But when it came time to commit, got cold feet and ran out of the store before the salespeople could figure out what happened.  This time with the help of this this lovely little app I was able to get over the first time jitters and buy some yarn that was a joy to work with.  


 Stuffed bunny made with Debbie Bliss Fez - 85% Merino Wool, 15% Camel
Koala Bear made with Tahki Yarns Sky - 100% Organic Cotton

I would like to see a more comprehensive database as there were some yarns that I liked that were not in the app but I of course understand the limitations and more yarns and companies are being added all the time. The information that is available is well worth the $2.99 that you pay for the application.  I look forward to future updates and continuing to use this App while shopping at my LYS!


Disclosure:  I received a copy of the application to review by the developer free of charge.This review is my 100% honest opinion. I did not receive any compensation for this review, nor did I agree in advance to provide a positive review.

No comments:

Post a Comment