Monday, September 9, 2013

YIR: Swirl Hat and Chalice Baby Blanket

 And now for a little more year in review.



Up first is this lovely Swirl Hat by Mandie Harrington.
A close friend of mine has been battling cancer for the past couple of years. I decided that I wanted to make something for her to wear in doors to keep her head warm but not so warm that it was uncomfortable. I had some Cascade Heritage Quatro left over from the first pair of socks I made (colorway 5669) and decided that this would suit this purpose nicely. This is me modeling the hat before I blocked and washed it. Since we had been passing colds around our house I didn't even take it out of the dryer until her sister came to pick it up. 



After that I was asked to make a baby blanket for a friend to give as a baby shower gift. I sorted through Ravelry and picked out a few options for her to choose from. She decided on the Baby Chalice Blanket by Karen S. Lauger. See how the lace looks like cups?


I made a couple of modifications to the pattern including doing 12 repeats of the chart (cast on 173 stitches) and changed the border to a 5x5 seed stitch. This was knitted in Lion Brand Pound of Love and since it was lace I was presented with the issue of how to block it. As you know you cannot "block" acrylic, and lace patterns really need to be blocked to show off the lace. I decided to steam block it to "kill" the acrylic. There is a great tutorial on this process here

Have you ever tried to block acrylic?  How did it turn out?

Check back tomorrow to see what I've dyed up this week!


No comments:

Post a Comment