Friday, August 30, 2013

FO Friday: Stripey Socks and a Little Bit of Swag




Yay! My socks are finished!  I finished kitchenering the toe and wove in the ends just before bed on Tuesday night. These were my first pair of top down socks and I really enjoyed them. This is the Harvest Dew pattern by Rosé Hiver in Premier Yarns Serenity Sock Weight in the Pink Sugar colorway. 




When I first bought this yarn I ended up getting three skeins because I have bigger than average feet. I wear a women's US size 12 shoe. I actually ended up with enough left over to do a second pair of socks that will fit me!  So you'll likely be seeing this yarn again in the future some time. I should note that I went about an inch shorter on the leg as well as I don't care for really long socks. 


By switching to the second ball and finding the same point int the color progression I was able to match the stripes up almost perfectly. The tip of the toe where I grafted them closed is the only place that I can tell is off, and it is only by 13 stitches. No one else will ever notice. 

As I was working on these I was watching the Stockinette Zombies podcast which I just recently started following and discovered that they are doing a year long self striping yarn KAL (Knit-A-Long for those who are not knitters) and these fit the bill. I posted these into the FO thread this morning, and then spent an hour checking out everyone else's FOs!


This pattern uses a traditional heel flap and gusset, this is my first time doing this as well. (I decided to do a short row heel on my first socks). I really like the way they fit my feet and there were no holes to be dealt with at all!


After my last post I decided that my Knit Picks size 2/2.75 mm fixed circulars were not the best choice for this project. I was having trouble getting the stitches up over the join between the needle and the cable. I broke 2 nails in less than an hour because of it.  This was a bit surprising for me because I have never had a problem with my interchangeables from them. So I set out to find something with a smoother join. 

I went to a couple of our local yarn shops to see what could be had. I decided on ChiaoGoo Knit Red Lace in size 2/2.75 mm and size 1.5/2.5 mm.  I have only ever heard good things about them and they have nice pointy tips.  I thought that these would likely take care of my sock knitting needs. I also saw these Addi Turbo Sock Rockets which, according to the packaging, combine the pointier tips of their lace line with the super smooth finish of the turbos in a size 2/3.00 mm. I haven't heard much about these at all except that the Addi Turbos have rather dull tips, but I haven't heard anything about the Sock Rockets, so I thought I would give them a try. And since they came in a 3.00 mm and I couldn't find any ChiaGoos in that size I figured I would be OK no matter what gauge of socks I end up knitting. 

Since I am planning on doing magic loop with these I went with a 40 inch cable on all of them, purely for ease of use. I was a little concerned that the ChiaoGoo's have a wire cable and might not be as flexible as the Addis, but after using them I have no complaints. They were a joy to work with and I didn't have any problems getting the stitches over the joins. 

What are your favorite sock needles?

No comments:

Post a Comment