Tuesday, August 27, 2013

YIR: Ruffle Skirt


After the hustle and bustle of Christmas was finally over, I was wandering through Big Lots one day and stumbled on some yarn. It's super cheap and completely unmarked as to what it is.
From what i understand, they get what is the equivalent of mill ends from some of the larger yarn companies, in odd quantities that aren't enough for a full skein, slap their own label on it and sell them for like $1. I recognized some of this ruffle yarn as Premier Yarns Starbella, which I had seen in some of the big box stores. I figured I could make something for my daughter to run around in and feel all girly.


I matched this particular color way called Eventide with some left over Red Heart With Love that I had left over from the Christmas mittens and found a pattern called Starbella Ruffled Skirt by Milly of Ben Franklin Crafts. The pattern didn’t have gauge listed so I just went with it. I changed the top to 2 x 2 rib and inserted yarn overs at row 8. I then ade long I cord and wove through the eyelets to make a belt as it came out a bit big. She should be able to wear it for a couple years.


I did not particularly care for working with this yarn. As you can see in the photo above this yarn is constructed like netting. And as you knit it you are making one stitch in each of the top loops which causes the yarn to bunch up and create the ruffled look. For me it was too fiddly, having to open up the netting and find the next loop to work into slowed me down considerably also keeping the giant loops on the needle created a bit of a challenge. I will not be making anything with this yarn again for a long time, but the final results are adorable. 

Have you worked with any of the novelty yarns that are currently on the market?  What did you make and how was it to work with?

No comments:

Post a Comment