Monday, August 19, 2013

Mid-Ohio Fiber Fair: Stash Enhancement!


The Mid-Ohio Fiber Fair was this weekend and of course I couldn't resist. In fact I've been eagerly awaiting it and squirreling money away here and there to be able to do some shopping. This is my first fiber show and I hope it's the first of many to come. I got to meet a lot of great people and had a blast. Check out all the stuff I got!



I decided before I went that I was going to stick to things that I couldn't easily get elsewhere. There were a couple of my local yarn shops there, and I said hi but reserved my purchases for the other vendors, as I can purchase from them any time. I did a loop around all of the booths to see what was available before making any purchases. First up was this absolutely fabulous skein from Daizie Knits hand dyed yarns and fibers. This is her "Wicked Cool" colorway on her Dewy Sock base. It is a fingering weight 75% superwash merino/20% nylon/5% Stellina blend. I don't think you can tell from the picture but its sparkly!  I was a little skeptical of sparkle yarn before this because I though that the Stellina would be scratchy. After touching this, I will never pass on sparkle again!  It's soooo soft. 


I liked the Daizie Knits booth so much that I couldn't stay away. I ended up going back 3 times and each time I landed on this little beauty. After the third time I decided she had to come home with me too. This is "Just Peachy" in her Shoot base. It is a fingering weight 60% Superwash Merino/30% Bamboo/10% Nylon blend. It is a little more orange than yellow in real life than the camera picks up and it just makes me smile. 


Louisa Harding is a bigger brand of yarn but I haven't seen it in any of my local yarn shops so I picked this up from MidWest Yarn. It was 50% off and these were only 50 gram skeins so I got two. This is the Grace Wool Multy color 31. It is a DK weight 50% Merino Wool/50% Silk blend. So lovely. 

 

This is my favorite purchase of the day and it was the first thing I bought. This is Fibernymph Dye Works in the Dark Chocolate Sundae colorway in the Bounce base. This a self striping fingering weight 80% Superwash Merino/20% Nylon Blend. I can't wait to make an awesome pair of stripy socks!


I was wearing a shawl that I had made recently and was having some trouble keeping it on so I bought this shawl stick. It's just a plain wood one since I didn't want anything that would draw attention away from the shawl. It'll go with everything. 


I also have been thinking about spinning for a while. I don't have any aspirations of being a "Spinner" but I would like to be a knitter who spins occasionally. I just think it would be cool to make something from the fiber stage all the way through the finished product. So I bought this drop spindle. It's not anything fancy. But it should work for me as I am learning. 


Of course since I got a spindle, I had to get something to spin on it. First I got this cute little sampler from a local sheep farmer. It has a variety of breeds, so I'll get to try a few different things. 


I can't decide which one I like best. 


I also got some natural undyed Alpaca from an Alpaca Farm. Both of these are from the same alpaca, named Aurora. They told me that they no longer have her, so this is a special batch. 

Overall, I had a blast and I can't wait for the next show. It was an absolute pleasure to get to meet the people behind the finished product and support independent business owners in the craft I love. 

Did anyone else get to go?  What was your favorite booth?




No comments:

Post a Comment