Wednesday, August 28, 2013

WIP Wednesday: The Red Redd Shawl

My husbands grandmother is turning 95 this year, and his grandfather is turning 98. They live in Montana and have yet to meet our son. So the dear hubby is taking the kids and flying out for a visit with them. Since they are going to be there right around his grandmothers birthday Dan asked me to make her something. As he likes to say he is the management, His mother is the investor since she graciously paid for the yarn and I'm the labor. 



We went to one of my local yarn shops and picked out the yarn together. I had decided on a shawl in a DK weight since it gets chilly in Montana, and I can just envision Dan's grandmother standing on her porch watching the sun set with a warm handmade shawl wrapped around her shoulders.  We decided on this lovely yarn by HiKoo called Simplicity. As I said, it is a DK weight 55% merino, 28% acrylic, 17% nylon blend that is machine washable for easy care and it is soooooo soft. It's a dream to work with and I may have to buy some more to make something for myself. The colorway is 047 and it is more cranberry than it is showing in my pictures. It is somewhere between the picture above and below. 


The pattern I chose is Redd by Brian Smith and though it is hard to tell with it bunched up on the needles, features a lovely geometric blocking type pattern that really highlights the lace sections. 


I have just started section 2 of 2 and the eyeleted sections shift over to the left over the plain garter ridge sections and vice versa. You can just barely see a hint of the eyelets between the KNITTER and dark purple stitch markers. I'm at the half way point heightwise but since you increase by 4 stitches every other row, I still have a way to go yarnwise to get to the half way point. I really like this pattern, it is easy to memorize and there is just enough change occurring in each row to keep things interesting. My only complaint is that the pattern does not list gauge. I has finished measurements but without the gauge indication I won't know if I can get them until it is finished and blocked. 

Huh, I just went to the pattern page on Ravelry so that I could link to it above and now there is a gauge listed! It's not on the PDF and I could have sworn that I had checked the pattern page previously to see if it was there (because every once in a while it is there).  I think I might be losing it. Oh well, off to measure my work to see if I'm even close. Luckily it's a shawl and gauge is not as important as it would be for a sweater. 

What are you working on this week?  Check back on Friday to see Finished Objects!

No comments:

Post a Comment